The Piriform team would like to announce the latest release of CCleaner for Windows.
CCleaner version 5.36 introduces a new security feature, fixed Firefox cleaning and some quality-of-life improvements around our default cleaning preferences.
- Firefox: updated Session cleaning rule to support changes in Firefox 56.0
- Chrome (& Chromium): updated Internet History cleaning rule to clean user activity data
- Opera: updated Internet History cleaning rule to clean user activity data
Default Cleaning Rules
We are changing our default cleaning rules so that your recently used files and saved browser sessions aren't wiped without your explicit consent. These changes will take effect automatically for fresh installations of CCleaner, but we won't overwrite any of your existing preferences. To use the new default settings, go to the 'Cleaner' menu, right click on the 'Windows' and 'Applications' tabs and select 'Restore default state'.
- Windows Explorer: Most Recently Used documents and other MRU files no longer cleaned by default
- Windows Defender: Scan history no longer cleaned by default
- Microsoft Office: MRUs no longer cleaned by default
- Edge, Chrome/Chromium, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Thunderbird: Current session data no longer cleaned by default
Following the security incident in September we have taken steps to improve our security across the board. Within CCleaner, this means the addition of an 'Emergency Updater' security feature that allows us to force a software update in a worse-case scenario. We have ring-fenced the updater in its own executable to allow it to operate independently from the main executable. The update check runs as a scheduled task in Windows.
Emergency Updater checks regularly to see if an emergency security update is available. If one is, it applies the update immediately. Checks only transmit 1-2 KB of data and generally an emergency update will consist of a differential patch roughly 500 KB in size.
- Added new executable: "CCUpdate.exe"
- Added new Windows Scheduled Task: "CCleaner Update"
You can download CCleaner Free here.
Fancy a few more features? Download the CCleaner Professional trial version here
If you are already a CCleaner Professional user your installation will update automatically.
Stay up to date!
Sign up to receive the latest news, product updates and offers by email.