Do you own an iMac or a type of MacBook? If you’re finding that it’s suffering from less than ideal performance, try our quick run-through of 3 common Mac problems, the causes, and how to fix them. There are various things you can either try yourself or take away to learn more about, plus we go into some specific ways that CCleaner for Mac
can help you.
1. Continuous slow Mac performance: this can be a difficult issue to put down to one specific cause, so here’s a quick guide of different ways to fix the problem. Let’s start.
- Declutter a full hard drive: a visit to ‘About This Mac’ and then ‘Storage’ on Mac OS X can reveal all. Your Mac can need up to 20% of its hard drive space free to work its best. Forgotten or unused apps can potentially take up a large amount of space, which is why our app has a feature that makes it easy to uninstall them.
- Stop running ‘FileVault’: this app encrypts files stored on your Mac’s hard drive. This is good news if you want to keep your Mac’s files as safe as possible but can be bad news if you want a faster computer. Whether FileVault is useful to you or not depends on how you normally choose to use your Mac.
- Run missed updates: a visit to Mac OS X’s ‘System Preferences’ and then ‘Software Update’ can help you. Software updates help fix security weaknesses and bugs in operating systems and apps. Forgetting to do updates can lead to performance issues, some of which potentially slowing down your computer.
- Remove junk files: related to full hard drives, junk files from your web browser or daily computer activity can build up if left unchecked. If these grow to a size of several gigabytes or more, they can, alongside other files, impact your Mac’s performance by reducing your free hard drive space. CCleaner for Mac is great for tackling system junk of this type.
2. Crashing or badly performing apps: many of us have tried to open an app on Mac OS X and have become stuck on what’s known as ‘the spinning beach ball’. A Mac that’s slow to open apps or that crashes could have problems with disk permissions. Basically, disk permissions tell apps how they can interact with other files and programs. Errors can cause a communication breakdown within your Mac’s software and cause performance issues - no fun for you. That’s why we’ve built a function to fix this within our Mac cleaner.
3. Slow performance when starting up: if you’ve owned a Mac for a number of years or you just spend a lot of time using it, you may have installed a lot of apps too. Perhaps you’ve lost track of how many you actually have. What you may not know is that some of these apps could be preset to start by themselves each time you turn on your computer. This can take up a lot of processing power, slow down your Mac, and annoy you. CCleaner for Mac can help with this and offers a simpler alternative to the usual method for solving this problem while giving you other handy optimization tools - all in one application.
It couldn’t be easier to try out the free version of CCleaner for Mac and download it to your computer today.
Why not give it a go?