- Introducing Recuva
- Recuva Quick Start
- Using Recuva
- Recuva Settings
- Technical Information
- Advanced Usage
Recovering your files
1. Right-click a file and then click one of the following:
- Recover Highlighted - Recuva will recover only the file you've highlighted with the mouse - regardless of how many files you've marked with check boxes.
- Recover Checked - Recuva recovers all the files you've marked with check boxes.
- Secure Delete Highlighted - Recuva securely deletes only the file you've highlighted with the mouse.
- Secure Delete Checked - Recuva securely deletes all the files you've marked with check boxes.
2. Recuva will prompt you for a location to place the recovered files. We strongly recommend you select another drive. This will help with the recovery process and avoid problems where Recuva can end up overwriting the file it's trying to recover. When using LiveCDs like for example BartPE (based on Microsoft Windows XP), dialogs box may differ from full version systems dialogs, but their functionality is exactly the same. On such systems, the dialog for location to place the recovered files may look like:
Note: If you want to restore files in their original folder structure, select the Recovery options first.
3. Click OK. Recuva recovers the files and presents you with a dialog box when it has completed. If you have chosen to recover deleted emails, they will be stored in a compressed .ZIP file. See this topic for more details.
Note: Please check the files once you've recovered them to see if they are usable by opening them in their original application. Recuva will do its best to recover your files, but if portions of them have been overwritten by other files, they may not open properly.