Quick Start: If you know the file names
You can speed up Recuva's search and recovery if you know all or part of the name of the file you're looking for:
- Start Recuva in Advanced mode. If the Wizard appears, select Do Not Show This Wizard on Startup and then click Cancel.
- In Recuva's main window, type all or part of the file name into the Filename or path box. Select the location you want to search from the drop-down box at left, and then click Scan.
- Recuva displays the progress of the scan, and then shows its search results in the main window. If the file(s) you're looking for aren't in the list, see below.
- Select the check boxes beside the file or files you want to restore. The color of the dot next to the file name indicates your chances for a successful recovery (green for excellent, orange for acceptable, and red for unlikely):
- Click Recover. Select a destination for the recovered files (ideally, on another drive). Click OK.
If Step 4 did not locate the files you were seeking, select Deep Scan in the Options dialog box on the Actions tab. Run Step 5 again. This advanced scan will take much longer (it can take hours).