How to update graphics drivers to boost visuals
A graphics driver links the graphics card to a computer so that images and videos appear properly. It allows them to communicate so that videos and images are displayed as they should be. When an issue arises that prevents your computer and graphics card from communicating, you could find yourself staring at flashing images or nothing at all.
It's important to update your drivers because manufacturers regularly make tweaks at their end to improve users' experience or to fix any bugs. If you miss one of these (or multiple) updates, you may notice some issues begin to occur. Recent analysis by Microsoft found that 70% of all blue screens and PC crashes are caused by device drivers.
How to update my graphics drivers?
If you want to know how to update your graphics drivers we're going to show you how to do it in Windows 10 and also automatically using a convenient third-party tool.
We'll look at how to update AMD graphics drivers as an example. There has been a long-running debate over whether AMD or Nvidia produces the best graphics cards but we're not going to get into that. We're using AMD because it's first alphabetically but you would update an Nvidia graphics card driver in exactly the same way so this is for everyone!
How to update graphics card drivers on Windows 10
To update your AMD graphics card using Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Go to the taskbar and type "Device Manager" in the search box
- Choose "Device Manager"
- Select the "Display Adaptors" category and find your AMD graphics card (if you have an Nvidia card, just search for that instead)
- Right-click on your graphics card, then choose "Update driver"
- Choose "Search automatically for updated driver software" and you'll receive any final instructions to finish the installation on the screen
How to update graphics card using an automatic updater
If you use a third-party driver updater, make sure it has lots of drivers on its database and is easy to use. We created CCleaner's Driver Updater so that you can update all of your drivers at once (not just your graphics card) with just a few clicks of a button. It also has over 25 million drivers on its database, so does a thorough job when scanning for any new updates.
We don't really need to explain how to use it here because it's intuitive and guides you as soon as you download it. It will do all the hard work for you. It comes with a free 14-day trial and once that time is up you'll have the option to pay an annual subscription to continue using the tool if you wish, or simply drop down to using Free again - no questions asked! In the meantime, you can get all of your drivers up to date within the free 2-week trial. As it's part of the CCleaner Professional package, you'll also get access to other PC optimization tools such as a PC Health Check which automatically tunes your PC so you get the best from its performance.
How to update my graphics card?
If you want to know how to update your graphics card, the most important thing is to shop around and do your research before buying one. After all, they're not the cheapest bit of kit and you need to look at the technical specs to make sure you get what you need.
How to update graphics card once you buy it
Once you have decided on the best option for you and bought it you need to physically install it. You can do this by taking it to a repair shop or you can attempt to fit it yourself at home.
Just remember you will also need to install a new driver that is the latest to match your graphics card brand and model for Windows 10. You can do this manually or use an automatic driver updater as we ran through above.
We mentioned that our CCleaner Professional package comes with more than the driver updater. It can also provide the following great benefits:
- Improved security - it updates your software with one click to close any security holes that hackers love to find in older versions
- Faster computer - it clears any files that are unused or junk that take up valuable hard drive space slowing your machine down
- Safer browsing - it erases your browser search history and stops advertisers and websites from tracking your online behavior by clearing cookies
- Fewer errors and crashes - it uses CCleaner's patented registry cleaner to clear out clutter and broken settings, making your computer more stable
- Quicker startup - it helps you disable programs that automatically launch when you start your PC that you don't need to and this leads to a quicker startup
If you have manually searched for an update or used a driver updater and find that your driver is up to date then it could be you need a new graphics card. However, you should always first try to perform an update. Try this for free with CCleaner Professional, which is critically acclaimed and a favorite with users the world over. Why not try it today and see what it can do for you?